Do you know which is one of the best exercises for your body? It’s walking! Strange hey, my first thought always was that it would be something like jogging, HIIT training or something more strenuous for your body.
Walking is one of the best exercises out there simply because it has a gentle low impact on your body. And if you step your workout up a notch, brisk walking can provide the same health benefits as jogging.
The great thing about walking and why I recommend it to everyone who is beginning on their weight loss journey is because it is simple to perform and is gentle on your body. Plus because it is one of the simplest exercises out there it is easier to stick with and do long-term.
The hardest part of weight loss is just getting started that is why walking is such a great starting point. You can even make it a social event by inviting your friends and family and create bonding experiences while burning fat! That’s what is called a walking club and there are many of them that already exist.
1. Ease into walking. Let’s face not everyone is a seasoned fitness professional! So if you are just begging your weight loss journey, it’s a good idea just to start off slow and easy like doing just 1 lap around the block. Of course, as you become fitter over time you can always increase the intensity!
2. Wear the correct clothing. If walking is something you are going to do long-term make sure that you at least have proper walking/jogging shoes so that you can protect your joints. It’s also important to make sure you are comfortable during your walk, so dress appropriately for the weather.
3. Do a couple of pre-workout stretches. You don’t exactly have to do the same sort of warm-up exercise if you were going to do a session of HIIT but it is important to do at least 10 minutes of stretches before your walk! If you don’t have the time you can always start off with walking at a slower pace in the beginning.
4. Maintain your posture. Hold shoulders back and keep your head held high, after all, you don’t want to injure yourself because you have bad posture!
5. Regulate your intensity. You are probably walking too fast If you are out of breath and can’t carry a conversation. Slow it down so that you don’t burn yourself out!
6. Measure your progress. What we measure, improves. Just like you would measure your weight every day, record how far you have walked and how long did it take, then try better your own stats by a little bit every single day!
7. Have a little fun. Threes really no need to punish yourself, start a walking group with your friends and make your exercise a fun experience. You can even plan several routes for variety or even listening to your favourite music while walking!
8. Cool down. In order to prevent muscle stiffness the next day, try a couple of cool down stretches after your workout routine or even slow your pace at the end your route.
The most important part of any exercise program is to have consistency and sticking to your plan! Always stay flexible with your workout routines and you will have no problem with burning your stubborn body fat!